Welcome to Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client Setup with Nexcess
The Nexcess Web Hosting Platform offers a breadth of managed applications services. Even though there are services like Flexible Cloud Hosting and Enterprise Hosting, the flagship product offering is the portfolio of managed hosting for the WordPress, Magento, and WooCommerce web applications. Industry insiders agree that Nexcess is considered as one of the best hosting providers based on the product features, quality of the infrastructure/application technology stack, and superior customer service.
When moving your website to Nexcess Hosting, you may use our migration service by submitting a migration request from the Nexcess Client Portal. You simply need to submit the migration request with details of the site that needs migration. The following article will be helpful when submitting your migration request to Nexcess Web Hosting:
Nexcess Web Hosting Migration Form Explained
Access to the Nexcess Panel is essential for managing your hosted sites with Nexcess. If your password needs to be reset, you may reset it using the Forgot Password option on the Nexcess login page.
What is the Difference Between Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird?
Firefox is a web browser used to access and browse the Internet. Thunderbird is a "thick" email client which you can install on your computer for various OSs, and on which you can view your emails.
Is Mozilla Thunderbird the Best "Thick" Email Client?
If free is a very good price for you, and you have no need for a web-based email client, then Mozilla Thunderbird is your best option. It can do pretty much anything you need, including setting up message filters, email autoresponders, and several other useful things in the realm of email management.
For the record, Mozilla Corporation, the makers of Mozilla Firefox, no longer actively develops Mozilla Thunderbird, but the company supports it by hosting many of the Thunderbird resources.
Mozilla Thunderbird Email
Our Nexcess Email Service is relied on by our clients for the features and value its provides. The Mozilla Mail is incredibly lightweight compared to other email clients. It’s also super customizable, backed by an enthusiastic community, and has a solid 19-year track record for user privacy.
Another email application rising in popularity is the Mozilla Thunderbird, a free application from the makers of Mozilla. Like Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird allows for the control of multiple email accounts. It also allows users to search all the accumulated email in their account. Mozilla Thunderbird has been gaining popularity as viruses continue targeting its competitors.
According to the usage statistics, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, AOL, and Thunderbird are the most popular email clients for traditional non-web-based email. Of course, this is not a comprehensive list of email clients, and there is always the possibility that your organization is using a different email client. Luckily, since email is standards-based and all clients must adhere to these standards to function, the techniques discussed in this article work with most clients.
Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client is an easy-to-set-up email application loaded with great features. It also connects directly to various providers such as Outlook, Gmail, and Yahoo.
If you’re planning to use your email account with Mozilla Thunderbird, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to set it up. Thunderbird is a secure, customizable, and free email client. It also comes with a fully integrated calendar you can use to organize your life. Notable features include:
- The one-click address book, which allows you to add people to your contacts — with a single click.
- Tabbed emails that let you open emails in different tabs so you can quickly move back and forth between emails.
- Filtering and timeline tools to search the exact email you’re looking for.
- Themes, which allow you to customize the look and feel of the Thunderbird interface.
- Supports user privacy and remote image protection.
You can download and use Thunderbird on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Thunderbird Email Client Configuration
Before proceeding with the Thunderbird email setup, you’ll have to collect some email configuration details.
To add an email hosting provider account to Thunderbird, you’ll only need the full email address and password, as the platform can automatically determine its mail server configuration settings.
These details will be necessary if you wish to add a custom email address to Thunderbird.
Nexcess recommends IMAP protocol over POP3 protocol because IMAP generally possesses all the advantages of POP3 and none of its disadvantages. Refer to Email protocols IMAP versus POP3 for more information:
- For IMAP, use Port 993.
- For POP3, use Port 995.
Use Port 587 for the SMTP setting on all email clients. For fresh Thunderbird machines, here are the steps to follow after launching Thunderbird:
1. Under the Set up an account section, click Email.
2. A popup menu will appear. Fill out the appropriate information:
- Your name: The name associated with the email address.
- Email address: Type your full "firstname.lastname@example.org" email address (replacing email@example.com with your email address).
- Password: Type the password associated with your email address.
3. When you've finished filling out the above form, click Continue.
4. Thunderbird will automatically attempt to configure your mail settings. If Thunderbird was not able to successfully configure itself on the first try, we want to double-check details or make adjustments by clicking on the Manual Configuration option.
5. Fill out the appropriate information:
- Incoming: IMAP or POP. We recommend using IMAP.
- Server hostname: Input "mail.example.com" (replacing example.com with your server name).
Note: If you use a shared or dedicated server, use the server’s hostname; for example, cloudhost-123456789.us-midwest-1.nxcli.net, sip1-123.nexcess.net, or obp1-01.nexcess.net. Do not use any other domain with a DNS record that points at the mail server or your domain; for example, mail.example.com.
1. For IMAP, use Port 993.
2. for POP3, use Port 995.
> Use Port 587 for the SMTP setting on all email clients.
> SSL: When possible, we recommend using SSL/TLS. However, we do not have an appropriately named SSL certificate in this example. As such, this can be set to "None."
- Authentication: Normal Password
- Username: Type your full "firstname.lastname@example.org" email address.
6. You can click Re-test to ensure your settings are correct. Then click Done.
Great! Your account should now be added and can be accessed by clicking on the email address in Thunderbird. Next, start Thunderbird. If there is one mail account already defined, the Mail Account Setup window will automatically open.
Mail Account Setup
The following steps will help you to add another email account along with the existing Thunderbird mail account:
1. Go to the right top side, and you will find the option shown below y clicking the Three-Line Icon shown in the image:
2. Then, you will see a page with the current configured mail account settings, where you will find the Account Actions option:
3. Under the Account Actions option, nvaigate to the Add Mail Account option:
4. Then, navigate to the manual configuration setup screens and complete them as shown:
- Manual Configuration
- Hostname/Server Name
- Connection Security Type
- Authentication Method
5. Once the settings have bee saved, they will be would probed based on email account information used and the account will be set up:
- Testing the Email Account
- Account Successfully Created
- Other Options
Consider Managed Hosting with Nexcess
We live in the day and age of immense growth of ecommerce, so having a reliable partner for your business is necessary to make any task more manageable.
Nexcess Cloud Hosting Plans are stable, flexible, and managed. In addition, our extensive knowledge base provides helpful information regarding various topics related to Email, along with Third Party Email Clients.
Build Better Sites and Stores With Fully Managed Hosting from Nexcess
Faster Speeds, Stronger Security, Inherent Scalability and Trusted Support.
Our range of hosting plans caters to any business scale. We do all the heavy lifting for you to focus on growing your business. In addition, we automatically update ore components and plugins to the latest version and ensure your hosting environment is properly optimized, secured, and updated.
Nexcess infrastructure was specially designed to keep up the best speed and performance in the industry. No traffic surge can threaten your website to go down thanks to our autoscaling technology which adds more resources to your server to handle the load. In addition, we offer always-on security monitoring and support from web hosting experts 24/7/365 and a built-in CDN with 22 locations and advanced caching for ultra-fast loading.
All hosting plans include The Nexcess 30-Day Web Hosting Money Back Guarantee.
Need a No-Code Website Building Solution?
Are you on an accelerated schedule and already ready to move forward? If you need to get started with your Nexcess StoreBuilder Solution sooner rather than later, check out these resources:
Next Steps with a Nexcess Cloud Hosting Solution?
Read more about the Fully Managed Cloud Environment by Nexcess and its benefits for your business.
A Cloud Hosting Solution That Lets You Do Business Your Way
We believe in the promise of cloud: scalability, security, performance, and ease of use. Together with our team, clients, and partners, we’ve built something better.
Choose From Multiple Applications
Whether you’re a small business or a high-traffic ecommerce store, our cloud hosting solutions are designed around your needs: auto scaling, PCI compliance, and comprehensive development tools provide you with maximum dynamic flexibility in a fully managed cloud environment.
We make applications easy with environment optimizations for:
And there are many more!
We also have a variety of Nexcess support articles about how best to implement our product offerings housed in the Nexcess Knowledge Base, including how to get your site going with a number of different configuration options. These resources include a great article on setting this up for Migrating to Nexcess with managed WordPress and managed WooCommerce hosting.
If you need any assistance with the above-mentioned, don't hesitate to reach out. For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, Nexcess customers can contact our support team by email at email@example.com or through your Client Portal.
Why Choose Nexcess?
Because we're different! Chris Lema captures "the why" in his passionate and stirring recount of a Nexcess support-related story.
Useful YouTube > Nexcess Channel Links
- Nexcess on YouTube - Home
- Nexcess on YouTube - Welcome to Your Nexcess Portal
- Nexcess on YouTube - Featured Videos
- Nexcess on YouTube - All Videos
- Nexcess on YouTube - All Playlists
Resources for More Information
Need more help? The Website Management > .htaccess, and Scripts, Cron Jobs, Reports and Monitoring, IP Management, and Dev Sites sections within the Nexcess Knowledge Base are important resources for those seeking additional knowledge. The Applications section also contains valuable insights for those seeking additional knowledge about our other various hosted applications and platforms. Check out our related video playlists and articles below:
- Managed WordPress by Nexcess - Video Playlist
- Managed WooCommerce by Nexcess - Video Playlist
- Managed Magento by Nexcess - Video Playlist
New Customers: Fully Managed Hosting Solutions
- Domain Registration
- Global DNS Checker
- Buy an SSL Certificate
- What is a temporary or dynamic IP address?
- What are the benefits of dedicated IP addresses?
- What is SpamAssassin?
- How to manage spam with SiteWorx and SpamAssassin
- How to retrieve email headers
- Email protocols: IMAP versus POP3
- How to create and modify email accounts in Nexcess Cloud
- Magento & Flex Cloud: Mailbox for Secondary Domain
- Nexcess Email Services