As of March 2019, this feature does not function in Magento 2 despite the interface's suggestion that it is available. For more information, see the GitHub bug report.
Magento is aware of the issue, but has not yet provided a timeline for its resolution.
Setting the return-path email designates an email address for all failed emails. By default, most mail servers use the server’s email address for failed deliveries, preventing you from seeing those failed emails. It also resolves issues with customers not receiving system emails relating to registration, password recovery, and order notification.
ATTENTION: This feature does not function in Magento 2 despite the interface's suggestion that it is, in fact, available. For more information, see the GitHub bug report. Magento is aware of the issue, but has not yet offered any more information.
Use the following procedure to set the return-path email in Magento 2:
- Log in to your Magento 2 dashboard.
- Select Stores > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel, scroll down, and click Advanced > System.
- In the Configuration menu, click Mail Sending Settings.
- In the Mail Sending Settings menu, from the Set Return-Path drop-down list, select Specified.
- In the Return-Path Email field, enter your desired email address.
- Click Save Config.