How to install and configure phpMyChat, an easy-to-use, multi-room PHP, and DB chat system.
Although phpMyChat-Plus provides an automated installation utility, it is recommended that you install the program manually, according to the instructions provided below.
What you need
- A Nexcess account on a physical (non-cloud) server.
- An existing SiteWorx account, with permissions to create MySQL Databases enabled.
- The ability to connect to your hosting account via FTP.
1: Download phpMyChat
- Download the latest version of phpMyChat.
- Save the .zip file to your local drive, and then extract the file using a compression utility.
2: Create a MySQL Database
Follow the steps below to create a MySQL database, via your SiteWorx account. This database will be used specifically for phpMyChat-Plus.
- Log in to your SiteWorx account.
- If you do not know your password, click Forgot your password on the login page.
- If you do not know the web address for your SiteWorx login page, either refer to your Welcome Email or contact our 24/7 support team for assistance.
From the SiteWorx main menu, click Hosting Options > MySQL > Databases.
In the Database Name field, type a name for the new database, do not use spaces but underscores are acceptable.
ATTENTION: SiteWorx will automatically prefix the database name with the first eight characters of your domain name. For example, if your domain name is "example.com" and you assign "my_database" as the database name, the assigned name will be "examplec_my_database".
Select the Create User check box. The page automatically expands and displays additional fields for creating the user login information, as well as check boxes for selecting the access permissions that you will assign or not assign to the user.
Type a username and password or click Generate to have one automatically created.
- In the MySQL User Permissions row, you will notice all permissions are checked by default:
- To apply a permission to the user, the corresponding check box should be selected.
- If you do not want to apply a permission to the user, clear the check box.
In the When Connecting From field specify the hostname the user must use to connect to the database. If you want to allow all hostnames, leave this field with the default "%" symbol.
3: Modify the configuration file
Now that you have created a database for phpMyChat, you need to specify the database information in the configuration file.
- Navigate to the following location on your local drive: /plus/config/config.lib.php.
- Click config.lib.php.
ATTENTION: Under the Database settings section, only modify the first three lines.
ATTENTION: Notice that the first eight characters of the domain name is prefixed to the database name and database user line items.
- Replace the values for the first three line items. For example, assume your domain name is example.com. Type the following:
- define(" C_DB_NAME ", 'examplec_chat');
- define(" C_DB_USER ", 'examplec_jdoe');
- define(" C_DB_PASS ", 'thepasswordyouassigned');
4: Upload phpMyChat Files to server
- Use FTP to connect to your hosting account.
- Upload the contents of the plus directory to a top-level directory within your web root directory. For example, /example.com/html/.
ATTENTION: You can choose to rename the plus folder to something more descriptive, such as chat or mychat.
5: CHMOD for select directories and files
Using your FTP client, change the permissions for the phpMyChat directories and files listed below. Right-click on the directory or file and then select File Permissions.
Directory or File
Change Perms To
6: Add Tables to the Database
To perform this procedure log in to phpMyAdmin and add tables to the MySQL database created in the Create a MySQL Database section.
- Log in to your SiteWorx account.
- From the SiteWorx main menu click Hosting Features > MySQL > phpMyAdmin. Result: in the left-side navigation pane displays all of the current databases.
- Click the name of the database previously created to see the tabs for specific selected tasks in the database.
- Click SQL tab and paste text into the field on the Run SQL query/queries on database… page.
- Navigate to plus/install/manual/installation/database.
- Click mysql_new_install.txt file.
- Select and copy all of the text in the file.
- Click the phpMyAdmin field and select Paste.
- Click Go and a message displays indicating that the SQL statement has been successfully executed.
7: Enabling phpMyChat-Plus
- Navigate to /plus/install/.
- Delete the install.php file and the site enables.
- Reload your site and the following window should display:
- Type your username and password, then click Register.
For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, contact our support team by email or through your Client Portal.