As a Magento store owner or manager, you want to attract shoppers and grow sales. That’s why you need a search engine optimization (SEO) structure that gets your ideal buyers to find and use your online store.
Improving your homepage, catalogs, or checkout can be as easy as a single installation. That’s the benefit of using Magento SEO extensions on your ecommerce website.
But these extensions also come with challenges. For example, you may run into issues like these:
- Customer support is unresponsive when you need them urgently.
- Your search rankings start falling after you install the extension.
- The extension interferes with elements of your pages or your entire website.
- Your website is noticeably slower after installing the extension.
- The software isn’t working. Meanwhile, the vendor upsells you more SEO tools.
Although buyers have reported these grim experiences, you don’t have to share that fate. You can improve your store's technical, on-page, and off-page SEO without these problems — if you find the right extension.
We’ve selected eight Magento SEO extensions to help you sidestep those messy outcomes. We’ll also go over the factors to consider when choosing an SEO extension.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Magento SEO extensions overview
- Best Magento 2 SEO extensions
- How to choose the best Magento SEO extension
- Final thoughts: Top Magento SEO extensions
Get fully managed Magento hosting
Accelerate your store's potential, without the ongoing maintenance
Magento SEO extensions overview
|Price starts from ($)
|Unique use case
|Mirasvit Advanced SEO Suite
|Category page and product group optimization.
|Webkul Magento 2 SEO Extension
|Optimizing for multiple search engines.
|Mageplaza Magento 2 SEO Extension
|BSS Commerce Magento 2 SEO Extension
|Rich snippet optimization.
|Mageworx SEO Suite Ultimate
|Command-line SEO automation.
|Amasty SEO Toolkit Pro for Magento 2
|$299 ($185/year after 1st year)
|Included with paid support services
|SEO automation and real-time SEO health monitoring.
|FME SEO Ultimate Pack
|Magenest Super Easy SEO
|Free Magento SEO extension.
Best Magento 2 SEO extensions
- Mirasvit Advanced SEO Suite
- Webkul Magento 2 SEO Extension
- Mageplaza Magento 2 SEO Extension
- BSS Commerce Magento 2 SEO Extension
- Mageworx SEO Suite Ultimate
- Amasty SEO Toolkit Pro for Magento 2
- FME SEO Ultimate Pack
- Magenest Super Easy SEO
The best Magento 2 SEO extension for your needs will help you resolve specific SEO challenges while supporting your other objectives regarding website performance and conversions. Let's explore eight of the top SEO plugins.
Mirasvit Advanced SEO Suite
Mirasvit Advanced SEO Suite lets you optimize your Magento store’s category and product groups for targeted search terms. This feature-rich extension can enhance your store’s SEO performance across Google Search, Yahoo, Bing, and other search engines.
If you can get your category pages to rank highly on search engine results, you’ll significantly increase your sales. Here’s why.
Optimized category pages rank for more keywords than a single product page would, and the increased reach improves your store’s chances of attracting more traffic.
For instance, the category keyword “OLED TVs” has a global monthly search traffic of 73,200 and has commercial intent — searchers want to buy.
In contrast, the product-specific keyword “LG OLED EVO C2 55” has informational search intent — buyers want to learn about, not buy, the product. And the global monthly search traffic is only 430.
So compared to product pages, category pages have a higher potential to attract buyers. Take advantage of that by optimizing your category pages with Mirasvit Advanced SEO Suite.
You also can upgrade to an enterprise plan with this extension.
- Use structured data to show rich snippets in search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Cross-link store pages.
- Format category pages for social media and open graph display.
- Set temporary and permanent page redirects: 301, 302, and 307.
- Optimize image and product URLs for SEO.
- Set canonical pages.
- Use hreflang tags for local, geographical, and language SEO.
- Define metadata for your pages.
- Add dynamic XML and HTML sitemaps to help search engine crawlers.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: Category page optimization.
Pricing: Starts at $149 for a lifetime license plus one year of support, then $89/year for updates.
Webkul Magento 2 SEO Extension
Webkul Magento 2 SEO Extension is an excellent option if you’re looking to optimize for multiple search engines, including Bing and Yahoo.
Google still dominates the global search market at 92.61 percent, leaving Bing and Yahoo with a 2.79 percent and 1.1 percent market share, respectively. But these figures vary by region.
For example, in Switzerland and Germany, Bing has over a 5 percent share. And it gets interesting with China, where Bing has more users than Google, taking 18.59 percent of the market, compared to Google’s 5.72 percent.
If your ecommerce stores target or you plan to expand to these markets where Bing and Yahoo hold sway, consider using Webkul’s Magento 2 SEO Extension.
The extension can generate dynamic meta tags using rules and templates. This feature ensures that each webpage has unique meta tags, which can increase the website’s search engine visibility.
The Webkul extension works for all types of ecommerce stores, even those that use custom third-party integrations. Also, you can upgrade to an enterprise or enterprise cloud plan for this extension.
- Manage canonical URLs to avoid duplicate content issues.
- Create XML and HTML sitemaps so search engines crawl and index pages more efficiently.
- Use advanced analytics and reporting to track your website’s SEO performance and identify areas for improvement.
- Optimize rich snippets to enhance your website’s appearance in search results and improve its click-through rate (CTR).
- Receive email notifications whenever a shopper runs into a 404 page.
- Apply hreflang tags for multilingual and global SEO.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: Optimizing for multiple search engines.
Pricing: Starts at $99 for lifetime access and updates.
Mageplaza Magento 2 SEO Extension
Mageplaza Magento 2 SEO Extension stands out if you need to solve SEO optimization challenges like preventing duplicate content, improving customer trust, and increasing website traffic.
This extension supports Magento 2 multi-stores and offers canonical URLs, cross-links across multiple relevant pages simultaneously, layered navigation to improve user experience, and other SEO features.
It also helps you optimize for Google rich snippets and lets you preview how your content would look.
You can bundle this SEO plugin at a discount with other Mageplaza extensions, like Google Tag Manager.
- Handle duplicate content from product and category pages.
- Add SEO metadata to your Magento store, including meta titles, descriptions, and keywords.
- Apply structured data, which is favored by search engines.
- Enable hreflang tags on your Magento store for local and global SEO.
- Create reports that highlight pages with low word counts, link errors, and other issues.
- Review the on-page SEO analysis and SEO checklist.
- Use advanced HTML and XML sitemaps for humans and search engines.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: Website auditing.
Pricing: Plans start from $99 for the first year, then $59.40/year for updates and tech support.
BSS Commerce Magento 2 SEO Extension
BSS Commerce Magento 2 SEO Extension features many rich snippet-focused capabilities, including product, category, business, search box, open graph, and breadcrumbs optimization. BSS Commerce even provides a dedicated resource to learn about rich snippet optimization.
As an all-in-one SEO module, this extension provides a range of features to help optimize your website content, structure, and metadata. It can help you improve your search engine visibility and rankings.
You also have the option to upgrade to an enterprise plan.
- Generate improved XML and HTML sitemaps.
- Manage canonical URLs, redirects, and hreflang tags.
- Add templates for robots.txt and meta tags.
- Optimize product rich snippets for prices, attributes, ratings, availability, and reviews.
- Optimize business rich snippets for address, name, logo, phone number, and description.
- Optimize category page rich snippets for images, product groups, names, and descriptions.
- Manage links.
- Use advanced breadcrumbs navigation.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: Rich snippet optimization.
Pricing: Starts at $149, a one-time payment including installation, updates, and support for one year.
Mageworx SEO Suite Ultimate
Mageworx SEO Suite Ultimate lets you automate your search engine optimization using its command-line interface (CLI) product SEO templates. This feature enables you to add bulk metadata to category and product pages.
This extension provides advanced SEO optimization features like 404 error monitoring, automatic URL rewrites, and cross-linking. It also offers a comprehensive suite of on-page SEO tools, including metadata templates, and XML sitemap generation.
This Mageworx extension is open source software, so it offers lifetime access to the source code. It also features more than 15 SEO tools, and you can upgrade to a commerce or cloud commerce edition.
- Use SEO automation to optimize category and product pages in bulk.
- Apply structured data for rich snippets.
- Integrate with a Progressive Web App (PWA) to optimize alternate and canonical URLs and cross-links.
- Optimize robot meta tags.
- Enable hreflang tags.
- Implement layered navigation.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: CLI SEO automation.
Pricing: Starts at $299 for lifetime access with one year of free updates and customer support.
Amasty SEO Toolkit Pro for Magento 2
Amasty SEO Toolkit Pro is an all-in-one website optimization tool that prioritizes real-time, automatic SEO health monitoring for your pages.
With SEO Toolkit Pro, you can manage broken links by setting up smart redirects — or rewrite URLs in one click. You can also run a mass page optimization, apply structured data, and perform other SEO tasks.
The extension auto-optimizes product URLs for your store so you can upload products faster and ensure good SEO.
This Amasty SEO extension can perform other automation tasks, like cross-linking and generating meta tags, page titles, HTML and XML sitemaps, and image alt tags.
You can upgrade this extension to an enterprise or Magento cloud edition. Amasty also offers free and premium toolkit extensions.
- Automatically cross-link to increase the weight of key pages.
- Add structured data.
- Use open graph tags for product, category, and CMS pages.
- Optimize and auto-generate URLs.
- Auto-generate and apply HTML and XML sitemaps.
- View website audits and real-time monitoring.
- Apply alt tags for image SEO.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: SEO automation and real-time SEO health monitoring.
Pricing: Starts at $299 for the first year, then $185/year.
FME SEO Ultimate Pack
FME’s SEO Ultimate Pack is a bundle of eight Magento SEO tools that help you automate routine on-page optimization tasks. It offers free upgrades, free support, and an enterprise edition.
This all-in-one SEO tool helps you generate XML and HTML sitemaps, alt tags for image optimization, and metadata. It also helps with keyword and link optimization.
You can use the FME extension to optimize new or already-published pages, images, and content. Its rich snippet optimization includes product carousels, stock statuses, prices, and open graphs for social media.
- Auto-generate alt tags and add them to product images.
- Manage duplicate content and hreflang tags.
- Create and apply HTML and XML sitemaps.
- Use noindex, nofollow, and follow tags.
- Apply schema and structured data for rich snippets.
- Automate internal linking across CMS, category, and product pages.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: On-page search engine optimization.
Pricing: Starts at $299, with free support and updates.
Magenest Super Easy SEO
Magenest’s Super Easy SEO lets you optimize and manage search optimization tasks for tens of thousands of product pages. It’s free, but you can pay for the enterprise version, pay for installation or tech support, or request paid extension customization.
This extension keeps pace with many of the on-page SEO features of the paid tools. For example, it can prevent duplicate content, enable real-time SEO data streaming, execute structured data markup, and optimize website speed.
- Manage website submission, indexation, and crawling.
- Audit SEO content.
- Handle duplicate content.
- Execute structured data markups.
- Automate metadata generation.
- Generate and submit sitemaps.
- Manage redirects.
- Compress and optimize images.
- Analyze and optimize on-page content.
Best Magento 2 SEO extension for: A free tool.
Pricing: Free, but you can pay for installation, customization, and support if you want.
How to choose the best Magento 2 SEO extension
To get the most out of your money and see your website flourish, choose your Magento SEO extension using these tips.
1. Use this optimization checklist
Use this SEO checklist to vet Magento SEO extensions.
- Metadata: The tool should support meta tags, meta descriptions, title tags, and other relevant metadata for your store’s product detail pages, category pages, and product group pages.
- Content optimization: The extension should support on-page SEO optimization for search engine crawlers and human visitors.
- Schema markup: The extension should support schema markup for rich snippet optimization.
- Social, global, and local SEO: If your audience is spread across multiple languages, use a tool that caters to those needs by using hreflang tags, especially on products, reviews, and social media displays.
- Dynamic HTML and XML sitemaps: Use a tool that can generate multiple sitemaps for different store views and categories. This improves website navigation and boosts crawl efficiency.
- Analytics, reporting, and auditing: Use Magento 2 extensions that offer advanced analytics and reporting. This is so you can spot and respond to opportunities and threats faster.
2. Use add-ons to complete specific SEO tasks
Most Magento SEO extension vendors offer standalone add-ons to fill optimization gaps. Consider getting these add-ons when necessary:
- Image optimization: This add-on lets you optimize the image size, format, lazy load, alt text, and filenames. Vendors like Webkul and Mirasvit offer this add-on.
- Canonical URL optimization: Add-ons in this category help you manage duplicate content issues. FME offers this add-on.
3. Prioritize quality customer service
You can't get the full benefit of a tool if something breaks and you have no way to fix it. You’ll need expert help in those instances.
Consider testing each vendor’s customer support to evaluate their responsiveness on the phone, chat, email, or other channels.
4. Seamless integration
Test Magento 2 extensions for compatibility and see how they fit into the solutions you already use.
Is there any conflict?
Did your SEO performance fall, increase, or remain the same? Can you identify the cause? Does the traffic or performance change serve your best interest?
Final thoughts: Top Magento SEO extensions to drive traffic and sales
The Magento SEO extension you choose will have a direct, bottom-line influence on your business.
However, our SEO checklist should help you anticipate and mitigate potential risks. Besides, you have a list of the best Magento SEO extensions in the market, which means you can avoid these negative experiences altogether.
Using excellent SEO extensions is good for your business, but even the best extensions won’t help your Magento store if there’s a hosting problem.
A development-intensive ecommerce environment like Magento is best paired with a hosting solution that takes care of the technical work. If you’re ready for a dedicated Magento hosting solution, consider fully managed hosting from Nexcess.