WooCommerce is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms in today’s marketplace. Their products provide customers with a seamless, intuitive shopping experience.
Part of the reason for this is the platform’s cutting-edge functionality. The other part of the equation is the library of WooCommerce subscription plugins available. But, with such a wide variety of plugin tools to choose from, setting your store up for success can be overwhelming.
In this guide, we’ll cover the top WooCommerce plugins you should consider for your store. Whether retaining customers or driving new sign-ups, one of the tools below can help.
Sell your products online, worry-free
Officially recommended by WooCommerce, our hosting is made for online businesses like yours
Top WooCommerce subscription plugins
1. WooCommerce Subscriptions
WooCommerce Subscriptions makes it easy for ecommerce businesses to sell subscription products. The plugin supports a variety of subscription models so customers can choose the perfect subscription type to meet their needs.
- Support for various subscription models
- Flexible billing schedules
- Subscription coupons and renewal notifications
- Multiple subscription management
- Easy management for subscribers and store managers
- Integration with 25 different payment gateways
Pricing is broken down on a yearly basis and is $199 per year for the standard plugin package.
Out of 61 reviews, WooCommerce Subscriptions has an overall rating of 3.4/5 stars. 39 percent of these reviews are 5-star, and 25 percent are 1-star.
Of the 61 users who have reviewed the app, 69 percent say it’s easy to use, 67 percent say there is good plugin support, and 65 percent say the app works well.
2. SUMO Subscriptions
SUMO Subscriptions allows users to offer grouped, variable product subscriptions on their site. This plugin is also unique because it allows users to offer free vs. paid versions of their products.
Additional features include:
- Support for Stripe Subscriptions and PayPal recurring payments
- Multiple reminder email functionality
- Record all transactions across your site through a Master Log
- Offer free and paid subscription packages
- Simple subscription management for subscribers and site admins
- Users can set a signup fee
Users can choose between two licensing options:
- Regular license: $49 (manages subscriptions for you or one client on products your end users do not pay for)
- Extended license: $490 (manages subscriptions for you or one client on products users do pay for)
After 85 reviews, SUMO Subscriptions boasts a rating of 4.49/5 stars. Users praise the plugin for its design quality and available features. Reviewers have said that SUMO “fits our needs perfectly” and “has great support.”
3. Subscriptions for WooCommerce by WebToffee
The Subscriptions for WooCommerce plugin is one of the most popular subscription plugins available. The platform allows users to create both simple and variable subscription forms, along with a host of other features.
Other features include:
- Free trial functionality
- Sign-up fee capability
- Offer recurring discounts for each subscription renewal (can be a percentage or fixed amount)
- Support various subscription schedules (weekly, monthly, yearly, etc.)
- Accept payments via PayPal and Stripe
- Notify subscribers via email for multiple statuses
Subscriptions for WooCommerce offers tiered pricing. Users can choose from these three packages:
- $89/year for a single site
- $129/year for up to 5 sites
- $199/year for up to 25 sites
Each price includes access to the plugin, as well as technical support and updates.
With 19 user reviews, Subscriptions for WooCommerce has an overall rating of 5/5 stars. Users praise the app’s team for creating a user-friendly app and providing great support. Some reviewers specifically cited the customer service and “great email support.”
4. YITH WooCommerce Subscription
YITH provides subscription functionality for those who sell digital or downloadable products from their store. The plugin also allows users to manage an unlimited number of subscriptions and change the renewal timeframe to fit their needs.
Additional perks of YITH include:
- Choose between monthly or daily renewals
- Accommodate subscriptions for simple products
- Users can cancel subscriptions from their PayPal dashboard
Many ecommerce business owners enjoy YITH WooCommerce Subscriptions because it’s free. As a result, it’s a great starting point for subscription-based businesses with digital products. But, because it’s free, functionality is limited.
Users who outgrow YITH can transfer over to YITH Pro as their business scales. You’ll gain access to expanded features and functionality, but you’ll have to pay. Pricing for YITH Pro is $199.99/year.
YITH’s free version has 31 reviews with an overall rating of 3/5 stars. 12 of these reviews are 5-star, while 11 are 1-star. While the plugin works relatively well, some users cited problems viewing their customer’s subscription status. Others said they couldn’t even let subscribers know their subscription was about to expire.
The paid version of YITH fared much better with customer reviews. After 86 reviews, the plugin has a 4.5/5 star rating. One reviewer said YITH Pro is a “great tool for all kinds of subscriptions.” Another said they are “truly happy with their results.”
Subscriptio provides all the features you could ask for to offer products on a subscription basis. This plugin is user-friendly and provides ample flexibility for your subscription products.
Some standout features are:
- Subscribers can manually pause, cancel, or resume their subscription
- You can set a custom length for your free trials
- Flexible billing cycle and subscription term
- Accepts PayPal or Stripe
- Customers can purchase both subscription and non-subscription items in one checkout
Subcriptio also offers its products on a licensing basis. You can choose from either a regular or extended license. The regular license is $69, allowing you or one client to set up subscriptions for products the end user doesn’t pay for. The extended license is $299 and allows for products your end users do pay for.
After 160 customer reviews, Subscriptio has a 4.2/5 star rating. Reviewers left 5-star reviews for feature availability, design function, and customer support. Certain users also praise the plugin as “very customizable.”
6. All Products for WooCommerce Subscriptions
All Products’ functionality as a plugin is somewhat limited. Its performance is solid enough to get the job done, but users need to keep in mind that it can only apply a subscription model to existing products in your store. However, what sticks out about this plugin is that it’s a good choice if you’re looking to start a WooCommerce subscription box business.
If that seems like a fit for you, here are some of the other features you can expect from All Products:
- Get help on how to best use All Products with Tooltip
- Accept recurring payments from multiple payment gateways
- Offer discounts when customers buy products on subscription
- Create subscription boxes
- Two layout styles to choose from
Users can add the All Products plugin to their store for $79 per year.
Customers who use All Products for WooCommerce Subscriptions are happy purchasing the plugin. We couldn’t locate a star rating, but users continue to use the plugin since it provides flexibility in their business and allows them to easily track sales and revenue.
7. WP Simple Pay
WP Simple Pay offers business owners subscriptions with flexibility. The design of this plugin takes the different shapes, sizes, and structures of each ecommerce business into account.
Simple Pay users can expect the following features:
- Accept one-time or recurring payments
- Configure payment collection for products, donations, or services
- Secure payment via Stripe servers
- Customize subscription forms with drag-and-drop building functionality
- Simple Pay also takes non-card payments
- Offer customer discounts (percentage or fixed amount)
WP Simple Pay offers four different pricing packages. Each package offers different levels of functionality ranging from Personal to Elite. Pricing on these packages is as follows:
- Personal: $44.55 per year
- Plus: $79.60 per year
- Professional: $139.65 per year
- Elite: $209.65 per year
With an overall rating of 4.8/5 stars on Capterra, spanning 63 reviews, WP Simple Pay boasts a pretty strong performance. Reviewers repeatedly say the plugin is very easy to set up, and their customer support is incredibly responsive.
8. Paid Memberships Pro
While it’s still loosely based on the subscription model, Paid Memberships Pro differs slightly from our other plugins in this article. This particular platform works best with paid membership sites.
Features this plugin offers to membership businesses include:
- Customized pricing and content for multiple membership layers
- Members can choose their payment method
- Rolling membership capability
- Admins can have all subscribers on the same day or month of the year
- You can customize renewal dates
- Create child accounts linked to a paying parent account
- Integrates with multiple payment methods
Paid Memberships Pro offers four different subscription packages: Free, Standard, Plus, and Builder. Free offers the least features, and Builder offers the most. Pricing breaks down as follows:
- Free: $0
- Standard: $247 per year
- Plus: $397 per year
- Builder: $697 per year
Over 100,000 reviewers recommend Paid Memberships Pro, with many of them giving the plugin 5-star reviews. Reviewers constantly praise the platform for quick, easy setup. They also say the support and documentation is thorough enough for anyone to get started immediately.
Comparison of the top WooCommerce subscription plugins
So which is the best subscription plugin for WooCommerce? To get a better idea of how each plugin stacks up, we’ve put them all side-by-side in the comparison infographic below.
WooCommerce hosting from Nexcess
The amount of plugins available in today’s marketplace can be overwhelming. Choosing the right WooCommerce subscription plugin for your business is important and requires doing your research.
We hope the guide above provides enough information and research to confidently make the best decision for your business. Naturally, Nexcess is here for you if you have any questions.
We’re more than just your WooCommerce hosting provider. We like to think of ourselves as a trusted partner in your business, and we’re always happy to help.