No matter how long you’ve been a freelance web developer, you’ve probably had several clients ask you to build a landing page. Mastering how to create a landing page in WordPress quickly sets your freelance business up for success.
From ebook downloads to purchasing meal delivery services, landing pages drive many businesses’ leads and revenue generation activities online.
In this post on how to design a landing page with WordPress, you’ll learn:
- Essential elements of a good landing page
- Why landing pages are great for freelancers
- How to create a landing page in WordPress
Elements of a Good Landing Page
What makes landing pages different from other pages on your site? Your homepage has many purposes. Homepages explain what your business is, display your services or products, and introduce your brand. Landing pages have one goal: to entice visitors to take action.
Uses of landing pages include:
- Selling a product or service
- Paying for a subscription
- Lead magnet downloads like white papers or ebooks
- Scheduling a demo or consultation
- Registering for a webinar or event
- Opting into an email list
Landing pages generate sales or leads. To drive these conversions, landing pages include different design and content elements than other web pages.
Common Landing Page Features
- A Clear Offer. Landing pages often include a design emphasis on the hero section to clearly call out the offer or unique selling proposition of the product. You need to design a page where people want to sign up or buy, based on what they see above the fold without scrolling to the bottom of the page.
- Call-to-Action. What’s the purpose of the page? From filling out a form or making a purchase, most landing pages need functionality to collect customer information.
- Social Proof. Nothing motivates like peer pressure. Marketers add social proof to pages to encourage more people to sign up. Examples of social proof include customer reviews, testimonials, certifications, or celebrity endorsements.
- Benefits. Most landing pages will have a section highlighting the benefits of why someone should buy or sign up for the offer.
Why Freelancers Like Building Landing Pages
Building a landing page in WordPress is an excellent project for freelance web designers or developers. The high demand and relative ease of creating landing pages in WordPress make them ideal for freelancers for many reasons.
Fast and Easy Build-Outs
Unlike website build-outs, freelancers can complete landing pages in less than a day. The payday on a finished website will boost your bank account, but you might have to wait several weeks or months. Simple, smaller projects like landing pages wrap up and get paid quickly.
Templated and Scalable
Landing pages often rely on templates. You won’t have to build or code everything from scratch. Once a client likes their landing page template, you can create new pages using the same template with minimal effort. This makes it easy to scale up your landing page building services.
Most marketers need multiple landing pages. Different campaigns have various offers. You might need a page for an ebook on productivity tips and another for signing up for a coaching session. Clients probably won’t stop after the first landing page they request. In addition to hosting and maintenance services, building landing pages is a great way to generate additional revenue after you launch a website.
How to Create a Landing Page in WordPress
When building a landing page in WordPress, you can choose between using the WordPress built-in page editor or a plugin. If you also want tips for building WordPress online store websites quickly, check out our guide to a faster way to build WordPress websites.
Option 1: Make a Landing Page in the WordPress Editor
In our beginner’s guide to WordPress, we talked about the difference between posts and pages. Posts are blog entries, and pages are for more static content. You can build a landing page by going to “Pages,” “Add New” in WordPress.
The problem is your options are a bit limited. Many people opt to remove the navigation and footer links from landing pages to decrease the chances someone will leave the page before completing the form or making a purchase. Depending on your theme, customizing the design using the native page editor may be difficult.
Option 2: Use a Plugin
For an easier building experience, consider using a plugin specifically for building landing pages. SeedProd is one of the most popular plugins for creating landing pages in WordPress. After installing the plugin, you can pick from various templates. You have to subscribe to unlock all the templates.
Option 3: Use a Page Builder
If you built your client’s website with a page builder plugin, you could use the same plugin to design and build landing pages.
Popular page builder plugins include:
- Beaver Builder
Create a new page and then look for template options for landing pages. This option is great because you can import the fonts, colors, and branding of the existing site into the landing page.
Option 4: Use a Design Service
If you still have reservations about building your own landing pages, there are plenty of qualified professionals who will design your pages for you at an affordable price.
A WordPress website design service can create a batch of pages for you at a one-time price. You can also look into freelancer developers, who typically charge hourly.
Builder Better Landing Pages with the Best WordPress Hosting
With managed WordPress hosting from Nexcess, you can trust that your client’s site will always run at top speed.