Figuring out how to start an online store can be daunting when you aren’t tech-savvy, but there are several ecommerce platforms available that you can use to set up an online business quickly.
Learning how to create a website to sell stuff doesn’t have to be difficult when you follow our step-by-step guide:
How To Make a Website To Sell Stuff
1. Select an Ecommerce Platform
According to When you learn how to build a website to sell products, first decide what kind of platform you’ll be using. Some of the most common ecommerce platforms include:
- Ecommerce marketplaces, such as Amazon, eBay, or Etsy.
- Ecommerce solutions, like Shopify or BigCommerce.
- Online store builders, such as Nexcess’s StoreBuilder, Wix, or Squarespace.
- Custom ecommerce websites, built on platforms such as WooCommerce and Magento.
Additionally, when you learn how to start an online store, look at the features each platform offers. Some features you should look into when you choose an ecommerce platform include:
- Price: Every new business owner has a budget they have to work with. The good news is there are plenty of affordable options, even for small businesses with tight wallets.
- Ease of use and set up: Choose an ecommerce platform that you can navigate with ease since you’ll probably be dealing with it daily.
- Ecommerce business model: Will you be selling digital or physical products? Will you be catering to suppliers or consumers? Will you have inventory on hand, or will you bedropshipping?
- Security: Since you’ll be receiving payments and handling sensitive customer information, ensure that your platform has an SSL certificate and isPCI-compliant.
- Third-party integrations: It takes more than just an ecommerce platform to run an online store. You also need solutions for email marketing, inventory management, shipping, and customer relationship management.
- Payment gateways: Ensure the platform you choose accepts credit cards and other payment options, such as Paypal, at checkout.
As a prospective online store owner, considering all these may feel overwhelming since each platform has its advantages and disadvantages.
If you’re learning how to make a website to sell products, we highly recommend Nexcess’s StoreBuilder. It offers affordable pricing and combines the ease of a website builder with the customizability of an ecommerce website.
2. Set Up Your Website
In the quest to learn how to create a website to sell products, after you choose an ecommerce platform, you need to set up your website. Be sure to:
With Nexcess’s StoreBuilder, there’s no need to sign up with a separate hosting provider. Powered by managed WooCommerce hosting, each StoreBuilder plan also includes a free domain name and SSL certificate.
StoreBuilder teaches you how to build a website to sell products with just a few clicks. Its intelligent engine helps you choose the right web design for your business needs and includes over 50,000 WordPress plugins that add functionality to customize your website.
3. Take Product Photos
Once you've set up your ecommerce website, it’s time to populate your storefront with product photos.
High-quality product photos are a must for your online store’s product pages as customers cannot see or touch your product in person. We also recommend you createproduct videos to demonstrate how your products work.
4. Write Convincing Product Descriptions
You need to figure out how to write effective product descriptions when you learn how to create a website to sell online. Convincing product descriptions complement product photos to persuade customers to add products to their shopping carts.
- Know your target audience.
- Perform keyword research.
- Use “power words” that convince buyers to purchase.
5. Promote Your Online Store
Once you’ve launched your online store, the only step left in learning how to build a website to sell products is to market your ecommerce store.
Blogging isn't the only way to do it. You can also increase your online presence by using:
Final Thoughts: How To Make a Website To Sell Stuff: 5 Steps to Success
With the variety of tools available, starting an online business and your own website has never been easier.
Learning how to create a website to sell your products is straightforward when you follow the five steps above.