Ecommerce platforms like Magento 2 empower you to build and run online stores in hours instead of weeks like you would a decade ago.
But this lower barrier to entry presents a challenge — increased competition. With hundreds of online stores launching every day, it can be difficult to stand out in the crowd. As a result, even with an attractive online store, you might struggle to generate sales.
To help you tackle this challenge, we’ve compiled a list of eight actionable Magento tips and tricks to increase online sales.
Ready to learn? Let’s get straight to it.
8 Tips To Increase Magento Sales
1. Improve your Magento store performance.
2. Optimize Magento SEO to rank organically.
3. Use Grouped and Bundle Products to increase the average order value.
4. Simplify the Magento 2 checkout process.
5. Implement strategies to recover abandoned carts.
6. Connect Magento with your social media accounts.
7. Offer targeted promotions and discounts.
8. Use analytics to track, measure, and improve store performance.
1. Improve Your Magento Store Performance
Improving site speed is a timeless Magento tip that can help you increase online sales.
In the pursuit of the “ultimate customer experience,” businesses often prioritize store functionality over performance. That leads to slow Magento storefronts with bloated themes and buggy extensions.
The obvious solution to this problem is to install bloat-free Magento 2 themes and remove unwanted Magento extensions.
However, you can also improve Magento speed in the following ways:
- Use Varnish for caching.
- Operate Magento in the production mode.
- Implement GZIP compression.
- Minify CSS files.
2. Optimize Magento SEO To Rank Organically
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an underrated Magento tip that helps you get more organic traffic to increase sales.
75% of marketers surveyed by HubSpot believe that SEO helped them achieve their marketing goals.
Adobe provides several SEO-friendly features in Magento 2. Some work out-of-the-box, like its default product template containing structured data markup for rich snippets. In contrast, others like canonical tags and product page metadata require manual configuration.
Follow this Magento SEO checklist to improve your rankings on search engine results pages (SERPs):
1. Optimize homepage and product metadata, such as meta description and title.
2. Add ALT text to product images.
3. Configure canonical meta tags to avoid duplicate content on webpages.
4. Generate an XML sitemap and add it to the Magento robots.txt file.
5. Configure automatic URL rewrites.
Additionally, you can use Magento SEO extensions to improve your search engine rankings.
3. Use Grouped and Bundle Products To Increase the Average Order Value
Grouped and Bundle products are perfect for selling pre-configured product selections. They can help you improve the shopping experience and increase sales.
You can use grouped products to create collections of products commonly purchased together. For example, you can create a grouped product in Magento consisting of a camera, memory card, and tripod.
Similarly, you can create bundle products to sell kits, such as a runners kit that consists of running shoes, joggers, and a fitness tracker. Additionally, you can allow buyers to customize their bundles to increase order values.
4. Simplify the Magento 2 Checkout Process
Data gathered by the Baymard Institute reveals that 17% of online shoppers in the U.S. abandoned their online purchases because they found the checkout process too long or too complicated.
Magento store owners don’t need to worry about long and tedious checkout processes. Magento’s Onepage Checkout simplifies the checkout process for your customers and even enables guests to checkout on your store.
We recommend using these default settings and supporting multiple payment methods to minimize checkout abandonment.
5. Implement Strategies To Recover Abandoned Carts
Abandoned carts are a serious problem for merchants worldwide. SaleCycle reports that shoppers abandoned nearly 80% of all online orders in 2021.
Magento lets you track cart abandonment using the Abandoned Carts Report. You can use that data to increase sales by retargeting cart abandoners with personalized discounts.
6. Connect Magento With Your Social Media Accounts
People spend nearly 10% of their day (147 minutes) on social media. You can capitalize on this behavior by integrating social media with Magento using extensions from the Magento Marketplace or adding social plugins.
For example, here’s how you can add a Facebook “Like” button to your Magento ecommerce store:
2. Create a content block in the Magento backend and add the HTML code.
3. Add the content block to a CMS, category, or product page.
4. Verify the block is in the right location and works as expected on the front end.
You can also add social media share buttons so customers can share their favorite products with their friends and followers.
7. Offer Targeted Promotions and Discounts
Magento’s catalog and cart price rules are the perfect tools to use the fear of missing out (FOMO) to drive conversions.
For instance, you can create a catalog price rule based on customer attributes and offer limited-time discounts such as 15% off on the entire catalog to boost sales.
Similarly, you can use cart price rules to offer exclusive discount codes with limited validity to your top customers. That way, you can nudge customers into making repeat purchases while inspiring brand loyalty.
8. Use Analytics To Track, Measure, and Improve Store Performance
Finally, the best Magento tip to increase online sales is to use reporting and analytics tools to track customer interactions and measure conversions.
Magento’s default reporting functionality provides detailed marketing, sales, customer, and product reports. You can access those reports from the Reports menu in the admin panel sidebar.
Additionally, you can integrate a service like Google Analytics in Magento 2 to track behavior flows and optimize your ecommerce website for a seamless user experience.
Final Thoughts: Magento Tips To Increase Online Sales
Data from Statista reveals that global retail ecommerce sales reached a record high of $4.9 trillion in 2021. More importantly, that number is projected to grow by 50% and reach $7.4 trillion by 2025.
If you’re looking for ways to tap into that growth, the Magento tips and tricks listed above are a great place to start.
Are you spending most of your time optimizing and securing Magento instead of growing your ecommerce business?
Sign up for Managed Magento hosting with Nexcess to simplify operating a Magento store.
Browse our plans to get started today.