Once you have designed and published your WordPress website, the best thing you can — and should — do next is create a daily backup of it.
By backing up your website daily, you’re safe from certain unpleasant circumstances that could occur. For example, your site could get hacked, there could be an issue with the WordPress theme or plugin you’ve just installed, you could lose your password, or you could even accidentally delete your website.
This article will help you choose one of the 11 best plugins to backup your WordPress website and keep your data safe.
Why it’s important to backup WordPress
Even if you think the design of your WordPress website is perfectly executed and your data is safely stored, your website is still not completely safe. You could accidentally delete an important file that could crash your website, you could forget your password, or your website could get compromised.
The chances that you will experience at least one of these situations, if not all of them, are extremely high. That’s why it’s so important to safely store all of your website data in a backup. And it’s vital that your backup is available at all times, so you can easily upload it and bring your website back online.
In other words, a backed up website is a safe website.
Choosing a hosting provider that offers full site backups
Nexcess offers an excellent website backup policy.
Every Nexcess web hosting plan includes daily, automatically created backups that are kept for free on a remote backup server. We take the safety of your data seriously and understand the importance of keeping your data recoverable.
Your backups are completely safe with Nexcess, as only our internal systems and support team can access them.
What to look for in a WordPress backup plugin
How do you choose the best WordPress backup plugin when so many are available?
Let’s go through the most important features you should pay attention to while choosing the best WordPress backup plugin for your website.
Being simple to use is one of the most important functionalities of the best plugins to backup WordPress. You should be able to backup and restore your website with just a few clicks.
One of the key features of the best plugins to backup WordPress websites is automated backups. Under automated backups settings, you can choose the specific time you want to create a backup of your site. By doing so, you won’t have to worry about forgetting to create a backup.
Backs up your database
The best WordPress backup plugins should also support the complete backup of both your files and databases.
Another crucial thing is to make sure the plugin’s backup storage is big enough to backup your whole website and avoid data loss. Also note that backups should never be stored on the server but on remote cloud storage.
Real-time backups is an amazing feature that some of the best WordPress backup plugins include. This feature saves your website’s data after every modification you make, meaning you won’t lose a single change or update.
It is always a best practice to encrypt your backups even if they don’t contain sensitive data. Furthermore, if you’re a business owner, it’s crucial that you use a backup plugin that encrypts your data. By doing so, you’ll be protecting both your business’s and your clients’ sensitive information.
The best backup plugins for WordPress in 2023
Ready to backup your WordPress website? Here are 11 of the best WordPress backup plugins to choose from.
BackupBuddy is one of the oldest WordPress backup plugins. The first version of BackupBuddy was released in 2010 by iThemes, and since then, it has been constantly updated and upgraded yearly.
With BackupBuddy WordPress backup plugin, you will be able to create a complete website backup or just specific parts of it. For example, you can create a backup of only your WordPress theme, plugins, database, and so on. Due to its numerous features, many users claim BackupBuddy is one of the best WordPress backup plugins.
- Real-time automatic and scheduled backups.
- Integrates with Google Drive, Dropbox, and Microsoft OneDrive.
- Additional security features, such as malware detection.
- Previous version database rollback without full restore execution.
- Possibility to create backup profiles.
- Specific WordPress file backup and restoration.
- Database repair and scanning.
BackupBuddy starts at $99 per year for one site, $199 per year for five sites, and $299 per year for 10 sites. iThemes also offers a few bundles that include the plugin.
UpdraftPlus is easily one of the best plugins to backup your WordPress website. All of your databases and files will be automatically backed up on the schedule you choose.
UpdraftPlus also offers one of the most important features for a backup plugin: you can choose to store your backups on the server or send them to a remote storage provider, such as Google Drive or Dropbox.
- Includes both automatic and manual backups.
- Backups can be restored straight from the WordPress control panel.
- Migrator add-on offers the ability to clone your WordPress website and migrate it to a new host or domain.
- Incremental backups are included, meaning you can choose only to backup changes to your files that have been carried out after the last backup.
- Can backup WordPress multisites.
- Amazing expert customer support.
UpdraftPlus’ free version offers most of its features for one WordPress website. Automatic backups are included, along with backing up to a third-party tool (such as Google Drive or Dropbox) and one-click website restoration.
Premium versions start at $70 per year for up to two websites, $95 per year for up to 10 websites, $145 per year for up to 35 websites, and $195 per year for unlimited websites.
BlogVault’s main feature is saving your backed up WordPress website on its cloud infrastructure, enabling you to save your hosting plan resources.
With BlogVault, you can create unlimited backup copies and activate incremental backups. You can also customize the plugin to create a backup of your website after a certain period of time has passed.
- Third-party service integration for backup storage.
- Reduces your server’s load by activating incremental backups.
- Supports WordPress multisites.
- Can integrate BlogVault with Malcare for extra security options.
- Ability to restore your website even if it’s fully down.
- Easy to use.
BlogVault only offers premium versions. The Basic plan starts at $89 per year for one site, Plus starts at $149 per year for one site, and Pro starts at $299 per year for one site. Higher-priced tiers are available for three sites and 10 sites.
Duplicator is one of the best backup plugins for WordPress websites that offers almost all of the essential features in its free version, which is comparable to paid plugins.
With Duplicator, you can backup your whole website or just certain parts, such as plugins, databases, and files. Besides backups, you can easily clone or migrate your WordPress website. The only downside of this WordPress backup plugin is that the free version doesn’t include third-party storage implementations.
- Manual backup of a whole WordPress website or just the parts of it.
- Possibility of cloning or moving your WordPress site between hosts or domains without any downtime.
- Full website migration without the need to manually import and export SQL scripts
Even though the free version of Duplicator enables you to safely backup and migrate your WordPress website, the premium features are amazing and worth looking into.
Premium plans start at $49.50 for the first year (renews at $99 per year) for two sites. Features include drag and drop installs, scheduled backups, third-party cloud storage (such as Google Drive, Amazon S3, and FTP), and more.
5. Jetpack Backup
Jetpack Backup, or VaultPress Backup, was integrated into the popular Jetpack plugin that was created by WordPress’ parent company, Automattic.
With Jetpack Backup, you can restore your website from a backup with one click. This plugin stores all of your automated backups safely on the cloud without slowing down your website.
Jetpack Backup is simple to use, meaning you don’t have to worry about coding or complicated settings.
- Restore your website in one click.
- Jetpack’s mobile app enables you to restore your website anywhere and anytime.
- Backs up both your website’s databases and files.
- Can restore your website from a specified point.
- Schedule real-time automatic backups.
- Incremental backups are available.
Jetpack VaultPress Backup doesn’t offer a free plan.
Premium plans start at $4.95 per month for the first year (renews at $9.95 per month). You can also purchase the security bundle, which includes Jetpack Backup, Akismet, and Jetpack Scan, and starts at $9.95 per month for the first year (renews at $19.95 per month).
6. WP Time Capsule
WP Time Capsule backs up every change that has been made on your website, so you won’t have to worry about the safety of your files since the backups are always automatically up to date. Your website is protected from hackers, meaning that in the worst case scenario, if your website is hacked, you will be able to restore it with just one click.
With WP Time Capsule, you can test the updates and changes you made to your website in the staging site without any downtime. Furthermore, you can store your backups using third-party tools for complete control.
- Can restore specific files or your complete WordPress website.
- Can restore your website with just one click from the WordPress dashboard.
- Test updates on a staging site without downtime.
- Integrates with third-party cloud storage tools.
- Ability to restore your website, even if it is completely down.
WP Time Capsule doesn’t offer a free version.
Premium versions start with the business plan at $49 per year, which allows you to backup up to two websites and store them for 30 days. The freelancer plan costs $99 per year for up to 10 websites, and your backups are stored for 120 days.
Finally, the agency plan costs $199 per year and allows you to backup unlimited websites, all of which will be kept safe for 365 days.
With WPvivid, you will be able to backup, migrate, and use staging features for your WordPress website. This plugin is designed for all kinds of users, from agencies to website owners and freelancers.
WPvivid supports third-party cloud storage — you can save your backups on Amazon S3, DigitalOcean Spaces, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, FTP, or SFTP. Complete beginners will have no problem using WPvivid as it is simple to install and use.
- Restores backups with just one click.
- Possibility to filter large files from a backup.
- Can migrate or move your whole site with just one click.
- Scheduled automatic backups of your WordPress website.
- Ability to clean up unused or specific images.
A free version of WPvivid with limited features is available.
If you choose to go with a premium version, it starts with the blogger plan at $49 per year for up to two domains. The freelancer plan is $69 per year for up to 10 domains, the small business plan costs $99 per year for up to 50 domains, and the ultimate plan costs $149 per year for an unlimited number of domains. Lifetime pricing is also available for each plan.
The premium versions also support third-party cloud storage tools pCloud, Wasabi, and Backblaze.
BackWPup enables you to backup your complete WordPress website and save it on third-party tools such as Amazon S3, Dropbox, FTP, and many others.
Note that the free version of BackWPup comes with very few features. While this plugin is easy to use and configure to the best of your requirements, it could be somewhat difficult for a complete beginner to use all of the features efficiently.
- Backup files are encrypted.
- Your WordPress website can be backed up both automatically and manually.
- Emergency restore tool is available for bringing up your completely crashed website.
- Integrates with third-party cloud storage tools.
It could be said that the free version of BackWPup should just be used just testing as it includes very few features. The premium versions include:
- Standard plan: $69 for one website, renews at $39 per year.
- Business plan: $119 for up to five websites, renews at $59 per year.
- Developer plan: $199 for up to 10 websites, renews at $99 per year.
- Supreme plan: $279 for up to 25 websites, renews at $149 per year.
- Agency plan: $349 for up to 100 websites, renews at $199 per year.
9. Backup Migration
Backup Migration may be the simplest to use WordPress website backup plugin that you can find on the market. You can schedule automatic daily, weekly, or monthly backups.
On top of that, it is also possible to completely migrate your website with just a few clicks.
Even though Backup Migration does not offer as many features as other WordPress backup plugins, it has everything you need for completely backing up and restoring your entire website.
- Restores your website completely with just one click.
- Choose which files and databases you want to backup.
Backup Migration is free with limited features.
The premium version, called BackupBliss, costs $29.98 + $6 VAT per license for non-commercial websites and $39.98 + $8 VAT per license for commercial websites. The license lasts for 180 days, after which it is automatically renewed for $23.98 (non-commercial) or $31.98 (commercial). You can cancel the license at any time.
10. WP Database Backup
WP Database Backup by Backup for WP makes backup creation and website restoration extremely simple. With just one click, you will be able to create a backup or restore your WordPress website. You can choose between manual and automatic backups, which can be stored on third-party cloud storage tools, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, or FTP.
- Very simple to install and configure.
- Automatic scheduled backups.
- Possibility to directly download your backup files from the WordPress dashboard.
- Implementation of third-party cloud storage tools.
- One-click backup and restoration.
WP Database Backup offers a free version that includes basic features.
Premium versions are available at Backup for WP if you want extra features, such as third-party storage implementation, automated backups, website cloning, and website migration.
Premium plans include:
- Personal: $9 per year for one website.
- Multiple: $19 per year for three websites.
- Webmaster: $49 per year for 10 websites.
- Freelancer: $89 per year for 25 websites.
- Agency: $159 per year for unlimited websites.
- Lifetime: $199 for 10 years for unlimited websites.
BackUpWordPress only offers a free version of its backup plugin, meaning integration with third-party cloud storage tools is not available. For more robust features, we recommend you go with a premium plan from one of the other backup plugins on this list.
- Extremely simple to use — no setup is required.
- Possibility to email every backup file to yourself.
- Supports both Windows and Linux servers.
- Possible to manage multiple backup schedules.
Only the free version of BackUpWordPress is available.
Choose the best backup solution for your site
All of the 11 best WordPress backup plugins we’ve listed above have one thing in common: they all offer basic website backup creation and can completely restore your website.
Depending on your requirements, you may need some extra features that are often only available in premium versions, such as website migration, cloning, or additional security options. Our list provides a plethora of options at various price points to choose from.
Now, the only thing left is to decide which WordPress backup plugin is best for you and your website.
And if you are looking to create a WordPress website, why not try managed WordPress hosting from Nexcess?
With Nexcess fully managed Wordpress hosting, we take care of daily backups, setup and maintenance, so you can focus on building and promoting your website.
We also provide next-level customer support that is available to you 24/7/365. If you have a website issue you need help with, our team will help you solve it.
Nexcess offers several managed WordPress hosting plans that are sure to be a fit for you and your website. Compare plans and find the right one for you today.