Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some questions that we commonly hear about our hosting plans. If you don't see the answer to your question, or if you want more information about anything, feel free to e-mail us and we'll do our very best to answer all your questions!
Shared Hosting FAQ
- What is shared Web hosting?
- Shared hosting plans tend to be the most affordable way for the average user to get their website online. In a shared plan, we host multiple clients on a single server - the resources of that server are "shared" among the clients who are hosted on that server. This keeps the cost down, since the cost of the server and its resources are spread among all the clients who are hosted on that machine. It also makes sense for users who may not need all the resources of a server.
- Can I host multiple websites with one shared hosting plan?
- Yes! All of our shared hosting plans allow you to host more than one website, by adding secondary domains through your hosting control panel. When you log in to your FTP account you will see a different directory for each domain name associated with your shared hosting plan. Unlike with our reseller accounts, there is no way to allow someone full access to one of the domain names associated with your account without giving them access to the others. If you need that kind of separation, please check out our reseller hosting plans.
Reseller Hosting FAQ
- What is reseller hosting?
- Reseller plans allow you to split the resources allocated to your account among as many smaller accounts as you'd like. Our reseller control panel allows you to easily create new accounts where you can give friends or clients their own Web hosting that is totally separate from other accounts on the server and within your reseller account. These plans are very handy for people who wish to offer Web hosting services to their clients, or who need to be able to host multiple separate websites.
- What is Magento?
- Magento is a feature-rich, professional open-source eCommerce solution that offers merchants complete flexibility and control over the look, content, and functionality of their online store. Magento's intuitive administration interface contains powerful marketing, merchandising and content management tools to give merchants the power to create sites that are tailored to their unique business needs. Completely scalable and backed by an extensive support network, Magento offers companies the ultimate eCommerce solution. As a long-time partner of Magento, we have years of experience hosting Magento-based E-Commerce websites.
- The Magento website can be reached at http://www.magentocommerce.com/
- What is a SIP?
- SIP stands for Secure Isolated Platform. Each SIP is a tightly integrated combination of top of the line hardware and software, optimized for security, speed and stability. Our Magento SIPs are optimized around the popular Magneto E-Commerce software, and come with everything you need to quickly get your online store up and running - more information about what is included in our Magento SIPs is available on the Magento hosting detail page.
Dedicated Hosting FAQ
- What is dedicated hosting?
- Dedicated hosting plans provide you with a web server that's entirely under your control - there are no other clients hosted on the server, all of the server's resources are dedicated to your use. This provides greater flexibility in that you can configure the server's services to your own web applications specifications. Dedicated hosting plans are also a great resource for people who need to host more websites than are available through our reseller plans.
Server Cluster FAQ
- What is a server cluster
- A server cluster is a set up multiple machines that work together to handle the traffic of a single website. Typically there's a database/file server, and at least one web node. Incoming traffic is split among the web nodes of the cluster, allowing us to add as many servers to the cluster as needed to deal with the incoming traffic. We offer a number of plans, but server clusters are often significantly customized to the client's needs, so feel free to contact us to discuss your needs and we'll be happy to provide a quote on what on what it will take to accommodate your specific needs!
- What is colocation?
- When you choose colocate your equipment in our facility, you are paying for space in our data center and the resources your equipment needs to stay online - power, internet connectivity, cooling, etc. Colocation is a great option for people who already have their own equipment but need a secure, reliable connection to the Internet for their application. When you colocate equipment with us you also benefit from the our professional 24-7 support staff, who are experienced in dealing with web-server related issues and always happy to help you out.
- Where do I ship my server?
- Ship it to our data center. If you're local, you can also drop it off during regular business hours. If you choose to ship a server, please use adequate packing material to ensure it arrives safely!
Dearborn Data Center
22005 W. Outer Dr.
PLEASE NOTE: Include your name, address, company and phone number with your shipment.
- How long do reboots take?
- Each single-server colocation account receives a FREE online rebootable port. But even if you're opening a ticket you can expect reboots within 15 minutes.
- If I need equipment (servers, drives, switches etc) can you guys provide that?
- For the most part yes. We keep a stock of most basic items and can normally help colocation clients out in a pinch as well with gear. Just contact us for pricing if you have something specific in mind.
- Do you require that my rackmount server have rails?
- We don't require it but it's GREATLY appreciated if you ship rails suitable for a standard 4-post rack.
- Do you offer colocation cages?
- We do, starting at 10' x 10' and in 10' x 10' increments thereafter. Just contact us for pricing.
- What will my uplink port speed be?
- You'll be connected at 100 Mbps for most applications unless a faster circuit is needed. All cages come with a 1000 Mbps uplink.
- What's the maximum number of power circuits I can get per rack?
- We can normally wire up to four dedicated 20A circuits (80A total).